Tectonics and Sedimentology
Study plan [daily form] [external form]
Teachers [daily form] [external form]
The person responsible for the implementation, development and quality of the study programme
prof. RNDr. Roman Aubrecht, Dr. funkčné miesto profesor [portál VŠ]
Persons responsible for the profile courses of the study programme
doc. RNDr. Jozef Hók, CSc. [portál VŠ]
doc. Mgr. Rastislav Vojtko, PhD. [portál VŠ]
prof. RNDr. Dušan Plašienka, DrSc. [portál VŠ]
Graduate profile and learning objectives
The institution defines the learning objectives of the study programme such as student's abilities at the time of completion of the programme and the main learning outcomes.
The aim of the education within the study program Tectonics and Sedimentology is to convey the progress in the science to students, in the research of causes, interaction of human activities with the geological environment and its consequences, to show them all aspects of the theory, principles, methodology and practice, and to teach them to do own engineering geological or hydrogeological scientific work, respectively.
A graduate of the third degree of university study in the field of Tectonics and Sedimentology achieves additional special knowledge from geodynamics, geophysics, petrophysics and models of lithosphere, mechanics in structural geology and tectonics, sedimentology , sedimentary petrography, as well as their practical applications in geology.
Graduate of the program Tectonics and Sedimentology (3rd degree) is able to make a scientific research and bring his/her own solutions of problems in the field of tectonics and sedimentology. He/she masters special methods of structural geology, tectonics, tectonomechanics, sedimentology and sedimentary petrography. He/she is able to make syntheses, control and coordinate international projects. He/she can be applied in practical expertise. The study enables the graduate to achieve a detailed overview in a wide spectrum of methods used in sedimentology and tectonics and routinely master most of them. Part of education at the third level will also offer personal development, management skills and competences courses. Thanks to this, he/she is able to make an inventional approach to problem solution in theoretical or practical research, as well as to lead a team, and plan effectively the job distribution within scientific projects.
The institution indicates the professions for which the graduate is prepared at the time of completion and the potential of the study programme from the point of view of graduate's employability.
The extensive theoretical knowledge and practical skills of the PhD graduates provide wide opportunities for their employment. The universality of the acquired knowledge enables their employment not only in Slovakia, but also abroad. Graduates of the study program Tectonics and Sedimentology are qualified to be an excellent researcher in tectonics and sedimentology (PhD.) who masters scientific methods investigating Earth crust deformation zones with the output to geotectonics and geodynamics, sedimentary processes and analysis of sedimentation results, contributes to their development by designing of experimental projects, knows methods of organization and control of scientific work within cooperation projects, knows how to manage applied projects in geology, tectonics and sedimentology, or other similar research branches. The graduate masters scientific research methods in tectonics and sedimentology oriented to regional-tectonic and laboratory-experimental research, as well as their practical applications.
Graduates of the study program Tectonics and sedimentology are employable:
• In academic sphere as independent scientific researchers, or university teaching assistants. The PhD. degree enables their further career progress and achievement if 2A qualification, or habilitation to associate professor degree.
• In the public management sphere, e.g. employees of the State Geological Survey (PhD. degree enables them to be placed to directorial posts), employees of the Ministry of Environment, State Nature Protection, on various levels of environmental divisions of municipalities and urban-planning departments.
• In companies with geological, mining or environmental focus, where their PhD. degree enables to be employed in leading positions.
For individual study plans, the institution states the requirements for completing the individual parts of the study programme and the student's progress within the study programme in the given structure:
- number of credits for compulsory courses required for proper completion of studies/completion of a part of studies, 65,
- number of credits for compulsory optional courses required for the proper completion of studies/completion of a part of studies, 10,
- number of credits for optional courses required for the proper completion of studies/completion of a part of studies, 165,
- number of credits required for the completion of studies/completion of a part of the studies for the common foundations and for the relevant specialization, in the case of a teaching combination study programme or a translation combination study programme, 240,
- number of credits for the final thesis and the defense of the final thesis required for the proper completion of studies, 30.